Full time | 2 year contract
The Community Solicitor within the General Legal Service advocates for access to justice through legal assistance, empowerment and community legal education of our community and law reform
Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS) is a community-based organisation committed to legal and social justice and the protection of human rights in the Northern Territory. It consists of a General Legal Service, a Tenants’ Advice Service, and a Seniors and Disability Rights Service.
We are seeking someone with experience in advocacy or representation who is committed to making a difference and willing to work as part of a small dynamic team.
The duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide legal advice and assistance aligned to DCLS’ Strategic Plan and Advice & Casework guideline.
- Contribute to the development of DCLS’ Legal Practice, team members’ skills and the identification of wider service delivery issues arising from client work.
- Develop policy and identify law reform opportunities based on evidence and practice, including through test cases, submissions, campaigning and lobbying.
- Liaise with key stakeholders including the legal profession, community organisations and local and national bodies, developing networks and collaboration.
- Contribute to the development and support of community workers, other legal practitioners, networks and the community through multi-media, training, workshops and publications.
- Other duties as reasonably directed by the Team Leader and Principal Solicitor.
Eligibility for admission as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory is essential.
Applicants are encouraged to apply via Seek (link below) and must submit:
- an application addressing the Selection Criteria and
- up to date Resume
Applications close COB Friday 22nd January 2021.
DCLS pays above award wages and salary packaging is available. Superannuation 9.5%, 6 week’s annual leave (or pro-rata), and generous conditions including flexible working and time in lieu.
DCLS is an equal opportunity employer.