The role is part time 30 hours/4 days per week until 30th June 2021
DCLS is an innovative community-based organisation that provides a range of legal services, including free legal advice and advocacy, community legal education, law reform and policy, community development and liaison. DCLS is committed to social justice and the protection of human rights in the Northern Territory.
The Community Solicitor is part of a small team that represents the rights and interests of tenants’ of the Northern Territory, providing advocacy support, and community awareness activities and contributing to systemic reform and policy development. We are looking for someone with skills and experience in a similar role who is committed to making a difference.
- Provide legal advice and assistance aligned to DCLS’s Strategic Plan and Advice & Casework guideline.
- Contribute to the development of DCLS’s Legal Practice, team members’ skills and the identification of wider service delivery issues arising from client work.
- Develop policy and identify law reform opportunities based on evidence and practice, including through test cases, submissions, campaigning and lobbying.
- Liaise with key stakeholders including the legal profession, community organisations and local and national bodies, developing networks and collaboration.
- Contribute to the development and support of community workers, other legal practitioners, networks and the community through multi-media, training, workshops and publications.
- Other duties as reasonably directed by the Team Leader and Principal Solicitor.
Eligibility for admission as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory is essential.
Applicants must apply via Seek and must submit:
- an application addressing the Selection Criteria and
- up to date Resume
* Please contact us if you require this Position Description in an alternative format.
Applications close COB Friday 27th November 2020
DCLS pays above award wages and salary packaging is available. Superannuation 9.5%, 6 week’s annual leave (or pro-rata), and generous conditions including flexible working and time in lieu.
DCLS is an equal opportunity employer.