We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed Solicitor to work closely with a team of lawyers, advocates, reformers and campaigners in providing access to justice. It is a diverse role involving the provision of legal services including legal advice and advocacy, community legal education, law reform and policy development.
It is essential you have the following skills and experience:
- Eligibility for admission as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory.
- Proven ability to interpret and apply Commonwealth and Territory law and provide high level and strategic advice on a range of legal issues.
- Well-developed advocacy, communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people from a range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Commitment to social justice and human rights and an understanding of the social and economic barriers impacting the community and client base.
- Demonstrated high standard of written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of Microsoft Office and data base systems including providing reports to a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and time management skills including the ability to prioritise competing demands.
It is desirable you have the following
- Two years post-admission experience.
- Experience in areas of law relevant to the DCLS areas of practice and client base or demonstrated ability to develop specialist expertise.
- Understanding of issues affecting people with disabilities and an ability to communicate and work effectively with people with a range of disabilities and their carers.
- Current Manual NT Driver’s License and willingness to travel for short periods of time.
Applications of no more than two pages with accompanying CV and nomination of two referees should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Post, GPO Box 3180,
Darwin NT 0801