Darwin Community Legal Service

Social Security (Centrelink)

Darwin Community Legal Service can help people who are unhappy with a decision made about their Centrelink (social security) payments including:

  • Age Pension
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Parenting Payment
  • Newstart Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Austudy and ABSTUDY
  • other pensions and benefits

We can provide information and legal advice about:

  • your rights and obligations
  • cancellation of benefits
  • ‘member of a couple’ decisions
  • eligibility for payments
  • Income Management
  • debts – and what can happen if you are in debt (repayment, prosecutions)
  • being investigated by Centrelink
  • your right to appeal and to have a decision reviewed

In some cases we will represent you before the tribunal that hears your case.

We also provide community education about people’s rights and responsibilities in respect to Centrelink payments. We try to change the way Centrelink works so that people get a fairer go.

If you require an interpreter (including Auslan) we will provide one for free.

Please contact us if you have an enquiry about any of the above, at (08) 8982 1111 or 1800 812 953 (free call).