General Legal Service Team Leader
About this role
The Paralegal will work in the General Legal Service team and with other DCLS staff to provide paralegal support. The position provides an opportunity to be part of an important and responsive community service and to engage with a broad cross-section of the community.
The Paralegal is responsible to the Principal Solicitor.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Assist with client legal matters under supervision including legal research, client liaison, logistical and administrative assistance on client matters
- Prepare drafts of material related to client matters
- Assist in taking instructions from clients
- Assist generally in record keeping and management of client records
- Other tasks as directed by the Principal Solicitor from time to time
Community Legal Education
- Work with other staff to develop and maintain resources for community legal education.
- Work with other staff to design and deliver community legal education in tenancy law.
- Research and logistical assistance in relation to law reform activities
- Assistance with arrangements related to community participation
- Work to a professional standard of efficiency, accuracy, and responsiveness
- Comply with DCLS policies and procedures
- Work as a member of the team and assist in tasks shared by other staff.
- Attend and participate in team, casework and/or staff meetings
- Report to the Principal Solicitor as directed
We are a hard-working and passionate community organisation, and we seek staff who share our values and culture.
- Show initiative and be able to work autonomously and be a team player
- Be self-motivated and have a “can do” approach
- Be committed to ethical standards
- Be adaptable and flexible, and
- Have a passion for making a difference within the organisation and the wider community.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and human rights
- Awareness and understanding of access and equity principles
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- A background in law, legal practice or law related contexts as a student or in other ways
- Demonstrated legal research skills
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritise competing demands
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution skills and the ability to work well within a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, accept responsibility, and meet deadlines and outcomes with quality output
- Excellent computer skills.
- Willingness to travel away from Darwin for short periods.
- Hold current NT Driver’s License
- Hold a current working with Children’s Card (Ochre Card)
- Hold a current national Police Clearance certificate
1. Background and relation to the NT
2. Experience working in a community-based organisation
3. Experience in developing and delivering community education and training
Applications for this position close Monday 23rd May.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter addressing selection criteria to email@example.com
Contact us to discuss the role call 8982 1111,
Applicants must submit:
- an application addressing the Selection Criteria (2 pages)
- up to date Resume
Please apply by emailing your application to firstname.lastname@example.org