Darwin Community Legal Service
- Location: Darwin Based
- Term: 3 year contract
- Remuneration: SCHADS Level 8: FTE 120k + super + 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply
- Reporting to: Executive Director
The Principal Solicitor is responsible for the DCLS legal practice including individual client work, community legal education, community empowerment and law reform.
The legal practice consists of the GLS and TAS and the Principal Solicitor is responsible for relevant aspects relating to the SDRS in accordance with the Community Legal Centres Australia Risk Management Guide.
The Principal Solicitor position aims to ensure that the legal practice and DCLS operations delivers quality, accessible help and are striving, energetic and effective in advancing social justice.
The Principal Solicitor:
- Provides leadership, management, and supervision
- Promotes positive teamwork, collaboration, and creativity
- Undertakes legal casework including initial and ongoing client matters and carries an appropriate caseload
- Supports, provides backup and oversight for GLS and TAS Team Leaders
- Supports and collaborates with the SDRS Team Leader especially regarding the legal practice interface, quality, coordination, and risk management
- Encourages, supports, and empowers staff and volunteers and
- Supports, facilitates and closely collaborates with the DCLS Corporate Services Team
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Demonstrated understanding of progressive legal advocacy and awareness of the current issues relating to social justice and law reform in disadvantaged communities in the NT
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively in empowering vulnerable and disadvantaged clients and communities.
- Substantial legal practice and casework experience and effectiveness in at least some of the following areas of law: social security; human rights and discrimination; credit and debt; consumer law; employment law; residential tenancy; seniors rights; adult guardianship; disability law including NDIS.
- Capacity and willingness to to undertake legal casework including complex matters and to make a significant and continuing contribution towards legal service targets and objectives.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading legal practice teams and a strong commitment to teamwork.
- Demonstrated skills in negotiation, organisation, time management, effective communication, and a high level of computer literacy.
- Familiarity with:
- National Legal Assistance Partnership (NLAP)
- Community Legal Services Australia Risk Management Guide
- Community Assistance Services System (CLASS)
- National Legal Assistance Data Standards.
- Experience in legal practice and/or other relevant roles in the NT
- NT Driving license
- Eligible for an unrestricted legal practicing certificate in the NT
- Provide a current national police record check
- Eligibility for a NT Ochre Card
- Up to date Covid vaccinations
OUR CULTURE AND BENEFITS:
- We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected, and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or life stage.
- A very flexible and family-friendly workplace
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Paid parental leave
- 15 Days personal/carer’s leave
- Extra leave over the Christmas period
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- an application addressing the Selection Criteria (2 pages)
- up to date Resume
Please apply to email@example.com
If you would like to discuss this position, please contact the Executive Director on 08 89 82 1111
DCLS is an equal opportunity employer.