The role is full-time 37.5 hours per week and a six (6) month Locum position | A generous salary package is available
Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS) is a community-based organisation committed to legal and social justice and the protection of human rights in the Northern Territory. It consists of a General Legal Service, a Tenancy Advice Service, and a Senior and Disability Rights Service.
The Principal Solicitor is responsible for managing the Legal Practice of DCLS. The position oversees advice and casework, community legal education and developing a program of law reform that supports access to justice for our community.
They will provide coordination, leadership and staff management of a small team of solicitors and legal risk management oversight for the whole of the service.
The Principal Solicitor will play an active part in a multi-disciplinary team that provides a wrap-around service to clients.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Operate the legal practice of DCLS, consistent with funding agreements, the Legal Profession Act NT, the National Association of Community Legal Centres Risk Management Guide, and DCLS’s Eligibility and Prioritisation Guidelines.
- Oversight, identify, and mitigate legal risk across the service in conjunction with the Managing Solicitor.
- Develop and maintain systems and mechanisms for compliance with NACLC Risk Management Guide and in accordance with professional regulation.
- Develop, maintain and implement policies and practices that guide and support the legal practice including case and client management.
- Actively promote a culture of continuous improvement whereby quality standards and high levels of client and stakeholder service are consistently met.
Applicants must apply via Seek and must submit:
- an application addressing the Selection Criteria and
- an up to date Resume
* Please contact us if you require this Position Description in an alternative format.
Applications close COB Monday 16th November 2020
DCLS pays above award wages and salary packaging is available. Superannuation 9.5%, 6 week’s annual leave (or pro-rata), and generous conditions including flexible working and time in lieu.
DCLS is an equal opportunity employer.