- Take the next step in your legal career as our Managing Solicitor and start making a tangible difference throughout the Top End region today!
- Earn an industry-competitive salary + superannuation and enjoy fantastic benefits, including relocation assistance to help you make this vibrant region your new home!
- NFP salary packaging options available to significantly increase your take-home pay
DCLS is a free, confidential, multi-disciplinary, community legal service which provides legal help, support, and advocacy to help people across the Top End.
With over 60 volunteers contributing via our after-hours legal advice services and in other ways, over 25 staff and 30 years of operation, DCLS has a long history of being a striving collaboration for positive change. Our legal help and support teams, which consist of the General Legal Team, Tenancy Advice Service and Seniors and Disability Rights Advocacy Service, are located together enabling integrated client support.
In all we do, we work to empower our diverse communities.
DCLS is the only generalist legal community legal service in the NT, and actively pursues opportunities to increase operations in areas of need.
We now have a rewarding opportunity available for an experienced Solicitor to take the next step in their career and join the DCLS team.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Solicitor to elevate their career and make a substantial impact on the lives of individuals in the Top End region.
To excel in the role of Managing Solicitor at DCLS, you should bring a minimum of 5 years of post-admission experience as a Solicitor, across DCLS areas of practise. You will have a demonstrated capacity for staff supervision. Proficiency in court advocacy across jurisdictions, experience providing complex legal advice and casework is a prerequisite for success in this multifaceted position.
The ideal candidate will have experience in community legal education, community empowerment, and a passion for social justice.
As the Managing Solicitor, you will provide leadership and supervision across all facets of the legal practice in collaboration with the Principal Solicitor, fostering positive teamwork, collaboration, and creativity. Your role extends to leading policy and law reform efforts, undertaking limited legal casework, providing leadership on complex advocacy matters, and supporting the Principal Lawyer.
You will actively contribute to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of services, including community legal education and law reform activities. Assisting the Principal Solicitor with accountability requirements and closely collaborating with the DCLS Corporate Services Team. You will play a key role in steering the organisation toward its mission of delivering impactful and accessible legal services in the Top End region.
The legal practice encompasses the General Legal Service, the Tenants Advice Service, the Volunteer after hours clinic and the forthcoming Mental Health Legal Service. This role is pivotal in guaranteeing that DCLS operations and the legal practice consistently provide high-quality, accessible assistance. It requires a proactive, dynamic, and effective approach to advancing social justice.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing and implementing service delivery, in line with funding specifications and the DCLS strategic plan
- Supervising and mentoring the legal practice staff
- Supervising the after-hour volunteer clinics
- Overseeing and ensuring all legal work and data collection undertaken complies with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements.
For more information on the key responsibilities, click here to view the Position Description for this role.
As our Managing Solicitor, you will enjoy a competitive salary (commensurate with skills and experience) + superannuation. You’ll also be joining a tight-knit and diverse team that is passionate about social justice and is committed to fostering a flexible, family-friendly working environment for all staff members.
You will also enjoy additional benefits, such as:
- 6 weeks of annual leave is available,
- NFP salary packaging is available to increase your take-home pay by up to $15,899 p.a.
- Meals and Entertainment packaging up to $2,650 p.a.
- Relocation assistance to help you make this vibrant Top End community your new home.
- The ability to step into future leadership roles
- Service vehicle and travel allowance provided for work-related travel
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program
Ready to Apply?
If you’re passionate about social justice and are looking for the opportunity to take the next step in your career, we want to hear from you – apply now!
Applications for these positions close on Friday 5th January 2024
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter addressing selection criteria to email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the role, please contact Principal Solicitor Melisa Coveney on 08 8982 1111