Tenants’ Advice Service

The Tenants’ Advice Service (TAS) is an NT-wide, community-based advice and advocacy service for residential tenants.

The TAS assists people who pay rent to live in homes in the NT including:

  • private residential tenants
  • boarders and lodgers
  • caravan park residents
  • supported accommodation tenants
  • Territory Housing tenants
  • town camp residents

What we can help you with:

Legal Advice: TAS provides free legal advice on problems you are having with your landlord or real estate agent.
Legal Information: There are a number of factsheets on our website that give a breakdown of the law and can help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
Advocacy: TAS can advocate on your behalf with advice, documentation and representation before the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).
Community Legal Education: TAS can talk to your community group or organisation about tenants’ rights and responsibilities.
Campaigning: TAS is currently lobbying the government to improve tenancy legislation and policy. Please see our Make Renting Fair, Safe and Certain Campaign for more details.

What to do if you have a tenancy problem?

Information and template letters are available on all aspects of tenancy in our FACTSHEET section.

Please contact us on freecall 1800 812 953 to access free legal information or to make a telephone or face-to-face appointment with one of our tenancy lawyers. Appointments are generally available every weekday except public holidays.

If you have any questions about our service or wish to organise a community legal education session on tenancy law for your community group, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 812 953.

Need an Interpreter?

Real Estate Agents and other agency staff members can access the Free Interpreting Service to talk to you about renting a home and any issues you may have while you live there. This includes making sure that you understand any legal documents such as your tenancy agreement before you sign it.

To access interpreters in up to 160 different languages, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, simply:

  1. Call TIS National on 131 450
  2. Provide the operator with the language of the interpreter that you need
  3. Provide the name of the real estate agency and if possible, their phone number if you know it,
  4. Request an interpreter of a particular gender, if required (subject to availability)

You will be connected to an interpreter within a few minutes. TIS National will then connect your call to the real estate agency that you asked for.

Alternatively, you can phone or visit the Real Estate agency and ask the staff member to arrange an interpreter through the Free Interpreting Service for you. More information for real estate agents is available here.

You need to be eligible for a Medicare card to use this service.



Funding for the TAS is made available by the NT Government

Skip to content